Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system and check that “British Council” is spelt correctly.
You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow the steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read the Information for Candidates, which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results.
Please note that IELTS is not recommended for candidates under the age of 16.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Read our simple guide to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
3. Check the IELTS test dates
Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day. Your speaking test may be scheduled only within seven days before or one day after the main test date. Please note that the oral examination date and time that has been scheduled cannot be changed. If you may not be available on a certain date/time for speaking module, you must inform us 10 days before the main test.
4. Register online
Book a place using our Online Registration System.
Ensure that you have an electronic copy of the identification document (National identity card or passport for Kazakhstani citizens or International Passport for candidates from abroad) you plan to use when registering online. Please note you have to provide the same document on the day of the examination.
If you register online but do not upload an electronic copy of your identification document to our Online Registration System, you must send us a copy of the document within three days of registering. Scan the identification document you used to register, save it as a .jpeg file no larger than 3 MB and email it to email@example.com.
- Write your full name and the date of the test session you have chosen in the subject line.
- Use this format for saving the file: (name)_(family name)_(session date).jpg.
5. Choose your payment options
You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
i) Online through the online application form
ii) Via a bank transfer
If you wish to pay via bank transfer:
- Find out our bank details in order to make the payment:
Name of the Organisation: British Council (Kazakhstan) Limited Liability Partnership
Bank name: JSC Citibank Kazakhstan
- In the REFERENCE section of payment include: 'IELTS / family name / city / test date' e.g. 'IELTS / Akhmetov / Almaty / 09Jan2016'. Without this information we will not be able to identify your payment.
- Please remember that you will have five days to pay for your exam via bank transfer. If payment is not received within this time, the registration will be cancelled.
6. CONFIRMATION OF registration
You will receive an email confirming your registration within five working days of registering.
If your identification document is rejected, you will receive an email with instructions how to upload your identification document again.
Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
7. After you register
After registering you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online preparation course: Road to IELTS
We will send you a confirmation email one week before the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
For more information please contact our Exams Services.
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have.
We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. For example, we offer support for people with visual impairments, hearing difficulties and dyslexia.
Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request.
You can apply for a refund:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. You will receive a refund of the test fee, minus a 25 per cent administration fee.
- If you cancel your registration within five weeks or less of the test date, you will not receive a refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your cancellation. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Refund Form and Bank account Form for Refund along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.
If you want to request a test day transfer, please read our test day transfer policy prior to making a request.
You can apply for a transfer:
- If you cancel your registration at least five weeks before the test date. Your registration will be transferred but you will have to pay 7,000 kzt of the administration fee.
- Candidates who wish to transfer test dates within five week period prior to the test date will be treated as a cancellation and receive no refund unless you can provide appropriate evidence to support your request. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a Request for Test day transfer form along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence no later than five days after the test date.