A capacity building programme was based on four workshops per year and aimed to train teachers in relevant pedagogical approaches including action research and inquiry and problem-based learning in STEM and English. STEM teachers were also trained as developers of comprehensive teaching resources that use Kazakh contexts for learning. Finally, a selected group of English and STEM teachers were trained as teacher trainers.
The workshop programme in year one of the project was as follows:
- Workshop 1 (5 days): Introduction to active learning for developing English and STEM literacy; implementing inquiry-based learning and developing higher order thinking (questioning, active reading, active writing, group discussion techniques, games, simulation and role play). Action research.
- Workshop 2 (5 days): Context-based learning, 5E and problem-based learning and scientific enquiry for STEM. Classroom language and teaching language skills for English language teachers
- Workshop 3 (5 days): Writing comprehensive teaching resources – step-by-step development of comprehensive teaching and learning resources for a whole teaching unit/topic composed of learning episodes that include PowerPoints, activity sheets, assessment items, homework activities, teachers’ guides and unit guides.
- Workshop 4 (5 days): Training as trainers, including follow-up strategies to support effective embedding and sustainability (developing training materials and follow-up strategies).
Between the workshops the participants trialled and evaluated the approaches and teaching resources through action research.
In year two of the project the Workshops 5-8 were designed to further enhance teachers’ ability to develop comprehensive teaching and learning resources. Workshop 5 followed on logically from the previous four workshops which were held in 2019:
- Workshop 5 (5 days): Developing progression in learning and thinking through active learning. Questioning skills for facilitating progression in learning and thinking at all stages in the learning process. Facilitating progression in learning and thinking in single lessons through the active learning process. Learning experiences and resources that effectively implement the techniques and learning model.
Group 1 was introduced to the application of the above through Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) experiences.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, workshops 6-8 have been moved to an online format (webinars).